Y.O.U Underwear is committed to having a positive impact across all business areas. We believe that businesses have a responsibility to act in ways that protect people and the environment from exploitation and degradation. That is why we have designed our business practices and policies to suit our own high ethical standards, in all areas from procurement to marketing, internal operations to employment. We're aware that it's sometimes impossible to be 100% perfect, which is why we also seek to be as transparent as we can across all areas to allow our customers to make their own informed choices. In the meantime, we will work tirelessly to improve our processes and maximise the positive impact we have at every level of our supply chain.
DIVERSITY, EQUALITY & INCLUSION
- We are committed to diversity, equality and inclusion across all areas of the business, in all staff, volunteers and audiences.
- All private and published job listings and job descriptions include a statement to this effect.
THE ENVIRONMENTWe recognise that we have a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. Therefore, we endeavour to:
- Continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- Provide staff with relevant environmental training and resources.
- We work with India’s leading ethical and sustainable manufacturer to ensure that the production of our underwear is as good for people and the planet as possible.
- Our underwear comes packaged in an organic cotton bag, which is re-usable and fully biodegradable.
- As part of the 2020 Circular Fashion Pledge, we’ll soon be implementing a take-back scheme allowing our customers to send back their old Y.O.U Underwear for recycling purposes.When we wrap our products in plastic to protect them during shipping, we make sure the plastic is recycled and recyclable.
Internal company operations:
- We will minimise the use of paper when working in the office/at home.
- We will reduce packaging as much as possible.
- We will seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products.We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
Energy and Water
- We will seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- We will evaluate if renting/sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
- We will favour more environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
- We will reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
- We will reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessity trips only.
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We will make additional efforts to use public transport or bicycles.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.
Maintenance and Cleaning
- Cleaning materials used will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- Whenever we use plastic, it is always recycled and recyclable.
- We always dispose of E-Waste at a Certified E-Waste Recycler.
- We have a fuss-free exchange and returns policy and aim to reply to all customer enquiries within one to two business days (Sarah personally responds to everything, so bear with her!).
- Our packaging includes a hand-written note from the CEO of Y.O.U Underwear, Sarah Jordan,
- Our underwear is checked at at least three separate points in the manufacture and distribution process. The organic cotton fabric is checked as soon as it’s been spun, to make sure there are no imperfections. The finished underwear is checked by our manufacturer before it leaves the factory, and we also employ a third-party quality checking company at this stage to independently check our products before they leave the factory and are dispatched to us. The Y.O.U Underwear team also check every piece of underwear for size and quality upon arrival in the UK.
- However, all our underwear is spun, sewn and checked by humans, and sometimes humans make mistakes. We do our best to verify and ensure that mistakes don’t reach our customers, but if you do find any issues with our underwear please let us know. We can’t do anything about it if you don’t tell us and these errors help us learn and improve our processes in future too. We will do our best to rectify, replace or refund if you experience any errors too!
- We are committed to the principles of Ethical Marketing. We ensure that we use ‘real’ men and women as models and never airbrush our images. We had models aged from 18 to 80 and sizes 8 to 18 in our last photoshoot - and we’re always looking for new faces (or bodies!) so do get in touch if you fancy taking part in our next photoshoot! We’ve also hidden inspirational messages inside our underwear for a daily (and often unexpected!) reminder that You Make A Difference.
Product Lifecycle/after-sales journey
- Our underwear is designed to last. Organic cotton hasn’t been treated with the same chemicals as conventional cotton, so the fibres are far more resilient. However, we recognise that even Y.O.U underwear won’t last forever! This is why we have detailed guides in place to help our customers get the most out of their underwear. This includes guides on how to care and repair, as well as how to responsibly dispose of all used Y.O.U underwear. From the end of 2020, we’ll be introducing a take-back scheme to facilitate the recycling of all Y.O.U underwear that has come to the end of its life, so none of our products end up in landfill.