This week, we're sharing a guest blog from Y.O.U Underwear's Mate of the Month - Onegreenbottle. Their stylish, stainless steel, eco-friendly bottles are reusable and refillable and perfect for the gym, the office, working from home, cycling, dog walking ... anywhere!
Onegreenbottle are offering all Y.O.U customers a 15% discount off their stainless steel bottle range, so grab your new bottle today! Simply enter YOU15 at the checkout and they’ll do the rest. For every bottle purchased they fund the removal of 25 single use bottles from ocean bound trash - a great idea! Each onegreenbottle can then be used for years and years and replace thousands of single use plastic bottles during its lifetime.
We all know that drinking water is important for our health, but the specifics often get lost amongst vague claims of improving skin or improving performance. Here’s a quick rundown of the real reasons proper hydration is important…
- Water is crucial to good circulation and the delivery of oxygen to your muscles while exercising, plus it helps to dilute lactic acid and therefore improve your stamina.
- Dehydration can also contribute to muscle fatigue which makes injuries more likely.
- Dehydration causes increased mental and physical fatigue, so keeping hydrated throughout the day will make you feel more awake and energetic.
- Adequate water intake will maintain your brain function, regulate your mood and concentration as well as improve your memory.
- It will also keep your body functioning properly (including bowel movements) and reduce headaches day to day.
- Water is a component of the fluid that lubricates your joints, so joint pain may be reduced by better hydration.
- Hydration is also key to temperature regulation which is particularly important in hot weather or while exercising.
How often should you hydrate?
The standard advice is 3 litres and a bit for men and 2 litres and a bit for women. But this intake doesn’t all need to come from water. Although we should try to avoid high-sugar drinks, even hot drinks like coffee and tea contribute to your hydration. You’ll know if you’re hitting your hydration needs if you don’t feel thirsty often and your urine is clear or pale yellow. Try and drink some fluids with every meal, a little bit mid morning and afternoon, before, during and after exercise, and whenever else you feel thirsty.
Why is stainless steel better than plastic?
As well as being much more aesthetically pleasing than a plastic water bottle, stainless steel bottles are also much better for your wellbeing. They don’t leach the same toxic chemicals that might be absorbed into your water from plastics containing BPAs, plus they are capable of keeping your water colder for longer to help you regulate your temperature.
Steel bottles are also more eco-friendly in terms of their lifespan and life cycle. Whereas plastic bottles are vulnerable to shattering, stainless steel is far more durable and lasts for longer. Even when they do reach the end of their useful life, stainless steel water bottles can be recycled.
Plastic isn’t all bad…
Polypropylene is a plastic which is valuable due to its versatility. It can also be recycled over and over without being downgraded like other plastics. The safest polypropylene is both BPA and BPS free, making it totally safe to use repeatedly. The good thing about polypropylene caps is that if they become damaged or are no longer useful, they can be recycled at home (as long as your local authority takes plastic tubs and trays from food packaging).
Features of a water bottle
There are a number of things to consider when choosing a stainless steel water bottle, for example:
- Do you need a sports cap?
- Do you need an insulated bottle?
- What size do you need?
- Do you need any accessories?
- Which is the most sustainable bottle?
Best stainless water bottles UK
Onegreenbottle was created out of a need to find a drinking bottle that kept water clean, safe and pure. We are concerned about chemicals leaching into our drinks from plastics, the eternal problem of disposing of huge amounts of plastics and plastic debris in the environment. Stainless steel is a food grade product, tested and trusted by the food and beverage industries. It is easy to clean, toxin-free, non leaching, odour and taste free, recyclable and robust for continued usage.
Best insulated water bottle 2023
Most of the bottles on the market are combatting the environmental crisis in ways that go beyond sales of their bottle which is great to see. Onegreenbottle and Black and Blum come top of the pile as they can be relied on for their quality and safety, while also providing an elegant aesthetic that makes them perfect for use across all areas of your life (at work, in the gym, on holiday etc.).